Why Car Seat Footrest is necessary?
Kids sitting in the Car Seat! Why would they do this?
Kids are sitting crossed legs on the car seat or putting their feet on the armrest or the front seat.
It is because the gravity pulls down their legs as much as their weight. Kids unconsciously protect their knees and legs from the gravity by putting their legs somewhere
Kids are kicking the seat back of the front seat.
Dangling legs may cause blood circulation problem and leg numbness. Kids kicking the seat back to reduce the knee pain when longer car trip.
Kids are crying and throwing a tantrum.
Kids body get slid towards the front while the car is running, it may cause the pressure from the seat belt and kids feel uncomfortable.
It pulls the dangling legs when sitting in a car seat with the same force as the weight of the legs.
Gravity pulling the legs can cause the following problem.
- Continuous stress may cause knee pain and deformation.
- Damage in their knees where the growth plate is densely located may disruptnormal growth.
- Dangling legs may cause blood circulation problem and legs numbness.
- Kids body get slid towards the front, it may cause the pressure from the seat belt.
- Their legs do not reach the bottom of vehicle which causes them to feel uncomfortable.
The easiest way to solve these problems is the CAR SEAT FOOTREST
The car seat footrest is necessary for children who :
- Kick the front seat
- Sit cross-legged
- Put their legs on the armrest
- Cry and throw a tantrum
- Say their legs are hurt
Orthopedic Surgeon Q&A
- Hanyang University Orthopedic Medical Specialist
- Hanyang University full-time Knee Joint Surgeon
- Member of the Korean Orthopedic
- Member of the Korean Knee Society
- Currently, Eunpyeong Chongtung irector of Joint Surgery Surgeon
- What is possibly going to happen to the kids who had a long ride on a car seat?
When kids are car seated, their legs get dangled in the air. Then, law of gravity affects on them,
pulling the kids' legs as strong as they weight.
It gets knee joint stressed and if this case repeats over and over, it will bring knee irritation or deformation.
Especially, kids are not physically matured , so it will be more stressful compared to adults.
It is a same feeling that in the case of using smart phones for a long time even adults have painful elbow.
Kids in the car seat experience that kind of pain as well.
Also with their legs dangled so long, it will have a blood circulation problem and legs become to numb
and have pins and needles.
- When we see the kids sleeping, they tend to have crossed legs or rest legs on the armrest. Is there any correlation?
Knee gets stressed because of gravity pulling. If this stress goes on, it develops as an ache.
Children realize that they put their legs somewhere, and they reduce stress by their instincts.
That is the reason they cross their legs or rest somewhere.
- Sometimes we see kids kicking front seat, is it relate with the stress? Fathers, occasionally, gets scold.
Under the condition of not being moved you can't have a healthy blood circulation on your legs.
Specially, when blood inclined. And it will be much worse in the long ride because blood vessel flowing
under thigh gets pressure. Then, kids feel uncomfortable, numb, and they move legs and even kick.
By doing it, they tend to reduce the blood vessel pressure, and get healthy blood circulating.
It is a natural protective instinct.
- Is there any influence on their physical development?
It does not mean that sitting on a car seat influences on their physical development.
But it does have an influence if there is an irritation or deformation on knee where
growth plates are centered.
- It has never been heard that there are leg problems due to using car seat. why is that?
As mentioned before, children protect themselves by crossing their legs or kicking font seats etc.
Without these behaviors, they appeal and cry their pain when they are awake after a long ride.